I have been trying to find information on Elizabeth Duytcher of Fishkill who married Abraham Freer. They had nine children. He married second a Cornelia Symetse? Not sure on the spelling. The birth date I have for Abraham is 1749. I have no dates for Elizabeth. I'd appreciate any help you might be able to give me.
Allene Trowbridge Hintz
This is confusing.
I have the following:
Abraham Freer m. 1694 Aegje Tietsoort
Aegje Freer (b 1714) married David Dutcher (b 1715), son of David Dutcher who married Elizabeth Davenport and had children: David, Johannes, Willem, Barend, Annatje, Margaret, Maria.
1. Catrina Dutcher (b. 1735) ? married Thomas Carl
2. Elizabeth Dutcher (b. Fishkill 1736) married 11/25/1759 in Rhinebeck, NY Benjamin Freer (b 2/20/1732)
3. Sara Dutcher (b. 1739)
4. Margaret Dutcher (b. circa 1740)
5. Pvt. David Dutcher (born 9/14/1740) married Margaret van Tine
6. Annetje Dutcher (circa 1742)
9. Abraham (circa 1755)
I also have an Abraham Freer whose third wife (I don't know who the first two are) was Elizabeth Brevort. They married 5/20/1771. Her (Elizabeth Brevort) was the widow of Willem Dutcher. Elizabeth and Willem were married in Fishkill.
This information I have is from Griffin, so I have felt pretty comfortable with it.
Can someone tell us whether or how this fits together?
peter h elias, md ****
The information I have on Abraham Freer is somewhat different from what you have. I have Abraham Freer (born about 1723) marrying Lena Van der Bogart about 1744. They had 7 children. Abraham married second Cornelia Symetse in 1766. They had two children.
One son from the first marriage was named Abraham. He was born about 1749. He married Elizabeth Dutcher about 1771. They had five children: Abraham, Sally, Peter, Mary, and John.
I don't have anything on this Elizabeth although I am interested in her. Her son John was baptized the same day as three children of David Dutcher and Helena Freer. I suspect that Helena may be the sister of Abraham Freer. Do you have any information on the siblings of Abraham and who they married? Perhaps there is a close relationship between David Dutcher and Elizabeth Dutcher. But then you can find several Freers marrying Dutchers.
The David Dutcher/Helena Freer family disappeared after 1787. Have you seen sightings of them in your research? Did Abraham and Elizabeth and their children stay in Dutchess county?
I would be interested in knowing what you have on this family and the children. I'd be glad to share what I have and the sources of my information. Sorry I can't help you more with Elizabeth!
Sun, 28 Sep 1997
Subject: ELIZABETH DUYTCHER FREER
Most of my information was complied by someone else, although I have confirmed some of it by church records.
In my line I have a JOSIAH BROAS who married a SALLY (SARAH) FREER, daughter of ABRAHAM FREER and ELIZABETH DUYTCHER. Sally and Josiah were married at the 1st Dutch Reformed Church of Poughkeepsie, NY December 4, 1790.
Now this is where it gets a little funny - Abraham Freer born 1749 supposedly son of ABRAHAM FREER and JANETTE DE GRAFF married 1720, which would have made them fairly old when Abraham was born. It is like a generation missing. Anyway I have Abraham married to Elizabeth Duytcher. But no marriage date. Their children:
Abraham b. 1773
Sally b. Jan. 9, 1775 married Josiah Broas
Petrus b. 1780
Mary (Lottje) b. 1783
John b. 1787
Aajie (spelling) m. Jordon Morris
married 2. Cornelia Symetse (the complier says all records assure all children were by 1st wife. Do you have proof of the marriage date to Cornelia Symetse?
Abraham Freer that married Jannette De Graff was the son of ABRAHAM FREER AND AEGJE TIETSOORT.
I don't have a death date for Abraham that married Elizabeth. I have know other information on this family.
Here is what I have:
Abraham Freer (born about 1723 -- son of Abraham Freer and Janette de Graff) marrying (possibly Lena Van der Bogart -- dau of Jacob & Margaretta) about 1744. They had 7 children:
Jacob (RDC Poughkeepsie 1745)
Jannetje (RDC Poughkeepsie 1747)
Abraham about 1749
Margaretta (RDC Poughkeepsie 1751)
Helena (RDC Poughkeepsie 1753)
Egje (RDC Poughkeepsie 1755)
Peter (RDC Poughkeepsie 1757)
Abraham married second Cornelia Symetse (RDC Poughkeepsie 1766). They had two children:
Simon (RDC Poughkeepsie 1767)
Mattie (RDC Poughkeepsie 1769).
Abraham Freer married third Elizabeth Brevoort (mother of David Dutcher below) in 1771 (per Griffin, though he does not indicate who the first two marriages were to).
Son Abraham from the first marriage married Elizabeth Dutcher about 1771. They had five children:
Abraham (RDC, Poughkeepsie 1773)
Sally (about 1775)
Peter (RDC Poughkeepsie 1781)
Mary (RDC Poughkeepsie 1783)
John (RDC Poughkeepsie 1787).
I have this additional information:
Sally Frear born Jan 9, 1775 to Abraham Frear and Elizabeth Provoort.
Sally Frair married Josiah Brass (RDC Poughkeepsie 1780)
Eggi Freer married Jordan Morris (RDC Poughkeepsie 1783)
I don't have anything on the Elizabeth Dutcher who married Abraham Freer. Their son John was baptized the same day as three children of David Dutcher and Helena Freer (both of whom I am very interested in knowing more about). Perhaps there is a close relationship between David Dutcher and Elizabeth Dutcher. And between Helena Freer and Abraham Freer. But then you can find Freers marrying Dutchers many times over the years.
The RDC Poughkeepsie records are second hand (the only record I have seen first hand is John's baptism in 1787) and the rest are third hand, so take it for what it's worth.
Who said this is confusing???? <g>
Wed, 01 Oct 1997
Subject: Elizabeth Duytcher Freer
I can't answer your question about Elizabeth and Abraham Freer, however, this bit of information should help you get on the right track:
THE BAPTISMAL RECORD OF THE REFORMED CHURCH, RHINEBECK, NY, 1731-1899, compiled by Arthur C. M. Kelly, item 1636:
Peter Frasyr, b. 17 Dec 1780, bp 13 May 1781, parents Abraham Frayr and Elizabeth Dutcher.
Frasyr/Frayr apparently were a corruption of Freer.
The Benjamin Freer (b 20 Feb 1732) who m. Elizabeth Dutcher, was the son of Willem Dutcher. This ties in with the data Peter Elias provided.
Hope it helps. KEN
I found in the Dutcher History it has Abraham who married Aagie Tietsoort as the grandson of Hugo. Dates would indicate, that is not correct. Abraham was Hugo's son. Abraham had a son named Abraham I believe Abraham bp. Jan. 20, 1670 in Manheim Ger. who married Aagien Titesoort was the 3rd. son of Hugo, and his first wife Marie Haye.
Hugo Freer and Marie Haye were married Oct. 2, 1660 Konkordie Kibche, Manheim, Germany
The children of Abraham Freer and Aagien Tietsorte
Maeltje b. May 5, 1696 New Paltz.
Abraham, b. Oct 13, 1697 Kingston
Solomon b. Oct. 23, 1698 m. Klaartje Westvall, Sept 22, 1721 Minnesink
Willem b. January 14, 1700
Jelena b. Jan 16, 1704
Phillipus b. Aug. 16, 1706
Sara b. Oct 12, 1707
Naritje b. Sept. 11, 1709
Jacomyntje b. Nov. 4, 1711 m. John Knickerbocker
Aagien b. April 11, 1714 m. David Dutcher
Johanna b.Nov. 13, 1715
Catryntjen b. Jan. 11, 1719
Source: The Freer Family of New Paltz N.Y. page 25.
Johannes Freer called in church records "Johannes Salomons" was bap. at Kingston Nov. 19, 1732 He married Hester Lonsberg ( sometimes called "Hester Lansberry") Their Issue.
Salomon bp. Kingston May 19, 1755
Marretje bp. " Nov. 07, 1756
Johannes bp. " July 23, 1758
Petrus bp. ? Aug 17, 1760
Ritgerd twins bp. Kingston, Sept 5 1765
(William, Abraham, Hugo) Benjamin Freer bp. at Kingston, Feb. 20, 1732 was the son of William Freer who was bp. at Kingston Jan. 4, 1700. William was born at Paltz, resided at Kingston, m. at Kingston, Nov. 11 1729 Margrieta Van Keuykendael, who was born in Minisink and resided at Kingston.
Copied from The Freer Family Genealogy by Ruth P. Heidgerd this:
Benjamin Freer bp. 2-20-1732 m. at Fishkill 11-22-1779 Elizabeth Duyster bp. Fishkill 5-15-1736.
Was Elizabeth 2nd wife?
Line (David, Jan, William) Willem Duytacher b. Nov 4, 1725 bp. Mar 14, 1726 (N.Y. Lutheran) m. Elizabeth Brovoort. Probably the William licenced to m. Mary Jacobs on Dec. 11, 1749, the licence being suspended.
David Dutcher bp. Apr. 30 1758
William died. William's widow on May 1771 m. Abraham Freer, becoming his 3rd. wife. David Dutcher bp. 1771 Married Helena or Lena Freer. All children bp. at Poughkeepsie or New Hackinac. I have not found Helena in the records except for a list of her children, which is exactly the same as you sent to me.
I don't know how they are about giving information but this is the address of The Huguenot Historical Society
P. O. Box 339
New Paltz, N. Y. 12561
Or just send a letter to them with out the P.O. if you would rather. I am sure they would recieve it as the offices are there, close to the stone houses.
I think Thelma has found a bonafide bug in Griffin. The Abraham (b. 1670) whose daughter married David Dutcher was the son of Hugo "the immigrant" Freer not the grandson. There is, however disagreement among Freer researchers about who Abraham's mother was.
There is a possible error in Thelma's marriage date of Benjamin Freer (b. 1732) and Elizabeth Dutcher (b. 1736). The extracted DRC marriage record in the IGI says it was 1759, not 1779. Tertiary sources say that this Elizabeth was the daughter of David Dutcher and Aagjen Freer (daughter of Abraham above).
This could not be the same Elizabeth Dutcher who married another Abraham Freer (b. 1749) about 1771 and had children until 1787.
If you used the same fonts as I used, the figure below summarizes how I interpret the info. Just add a line between Abraham Freer and E. Brevoort to indicate a marriage.
Hugo Freer -- ? | David Dutcher --- E. Davenport Abraham Freer --- Aagien Tietsoort | | ----------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------- | | | | William --- E. Brevoort David -------- Aagien ? --- William | | | David -- Lena Freer Elizabeth ------------------------------ Benjamin
Let me know if I messed this up. And I'd sure like to know how the Elizabeth Dutcher / Abraham Freer (b. 1749) couple fit in and who are Lena Freer's parents?
Fran ran across this family but it doesn't give parents for Willem Dutcher.
2. Benjamin FREER was born about 1732 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Elizabeth DE DUYSTER (daughter of David DE DUYSTER and Aagjen FREER) on 22 NOV 1759 in Fishkill, Dutchess Cty, NY.. Elizabeth DE DUYSTER was born about 1736 in Dutchess Cty, NY.. She died in Fishkill, Dutchess Cty, NY.
On Aagjen FREER, it gives parents as:
7. Catharine DE DUYSTER was born about 1735 in Dutchess Cty, NY.. She was married to Thomas CARL. Thomas CARL was born.
8. Elizabeth DE DUYSTER was born about 1736 in Dutchess Cty, NY.. She died in Fishkill, Dutchess Cty, NY. She was married to Benjamin FREER (son of Willem FREER and Margrita VAN KUYKENDALL) on 22 NOV 1759 in Fishkill, Dutchess Cty, NY.. Benjamin FREER was born about 1732 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY.
17. Aagjen FREER was born about 1722 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Ysaak DE JOO (son of Hendrik DE JOO OR DEYO and Margriet VAN BOMMEL OR VANBONE). Ysaak DE JOO was born about 1723 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY.
19. Maria FREER was born about 1725 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Pieter HUDLER on 9 JAN 1757 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY.. Pieter HUDLER was born about 1725 in Germany.
20. Petrus FREER was born about 1727 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Cornelia THOMPSON. Cornelia THOMPSON was born about 1727.
21. Annaatjen FREER was born about 1729 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Franciscus Petrus ROGGEN on 2 NOV 1751 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY.. Franciscus Petrus ROGGEN was born on 21 MAY 1718 in Switzerland. He died on 27 MAR 1804.
22. Johannes FREER was born about 1732 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Hester LONSBERY on 12 OCT 1753. Hester LONSBERY was born about 1729. She died on 25 AUG 1805.
23. Anthony FREER was born about 1734 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Jannetje LOUW on 30 OCT 1761 in Kingston, Ulster Cty, NY.. Jannetje LOUW was born about 1740 in New Paltz, Ulster Cty, NY.
26. Jacob FREER was born about 1738 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Alida TAK (daughter of Jacobus TACK and Jacomeyntjen VAN DER MERKEN). Alida TAK was born about 1742 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY.
27. Zamuel FREER was born about 1742 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Zara ROOSA (daughter of Heyman ROOSA and Jannetje FREER) on 19 JAN 1774. Zara ROOSA was born about 1744 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY.
I also found this on the Davenports:
2. Rachel DAVENPORT was born about 1684 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Peter HYLER about 1733.
3. Nathaniel DAVENPORT was born about 1686 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. He was married to Elizabeth VAN VLIET on 6 JAN 1712.
6. Humphrey or Omphre DAVENPORT was born about 1697 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY.. He was married to Elizabeth HYLER about 1731. Elizabeth HYLER was born about 1697.
9. Rachel DAVENPORT was born about 1705 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Nicholas HYLER on 14 JUN 1733. Nicholas HYLER was born about 1705.
11. Helena DAVENPORT was born about 1711 in Hurley, Ulster Cty, NY. She was married to Jacob MILLER on 4 JUL 1729. Jacob MILLER was born about 1711.
Hope this doesn't duplicate something I already sent you. Still no Lena/Helena. This is from an Ulster Co., NY gedcom I downloaded some time ago. If you have any names you want me to check for, let me know. It has many of the old Dutch families in it.
Subject: Re: DUTCHER/FREER/BROAS
I recently came across the Dutcher Home page and Website and discovered a significant amount of activity in regards to Dutchers/Freers/Brevoort and thought I'd add my two cents and a possible solution on the wife of David Dutcher who married Helena Freer.
Wilhelmus Dutcher [Griffin #64], son of David [#13] married on 14 Apr 1751 at RDC of Fishkill, Dutchess Co, NY. He was born 4 Nov 1725. He married Elizabeth Brevoort daughter of Abraham Brevoort and Katrina Griggs. She was born about 1725-1731.
Wilhelm died before 20 May 1771, when his wife remarried to Abraham Freer at RDC of Poughkeepsie. (She married using her married name).
According the Freer Family, Compiled by Ruth P. Heidgerd, The Huguenot Society, New Paltz, 1968; Abraham was christened 4 Aug 1723 in Kingston. He married 1st to Unknown [I've seen some back and forth about who his first wife was but don't know who she was or if it is confirmend]. He married 2nd Cornelia Symetse on 18 May 1766 at RDC of Pokghkeepsie.
In his Will, [Abstracts of wills recorded at Poughkeepsie, Vol 61, NYGBR] he mentions his wife and his eldest son. Then he leaves his estated "among nine of my children and lists them in the following order, "Margretta, Jacobus, Helena, Egye, Petrus, Abraham, Simon, Maltje, and Sally". A Codicial stats that Sally can only have the income of her portion during the life of her husband Josias Bross. Will dated 23 March 1792 and probate on 24 Aug 1795.
An analysis of the names and order of the names and knowledge of family naming conventions would yield the following if my theory is correct:
Note: The David [D7] stands a good chance of being the David Dutcher baptized at the same time as some of his Broas cousins in 1715 at the RDC of Poughkeepsie.
Then We come to Abraham Freer Jr. [F1] who married Elizabeth Duytser - Perhaps she is another unknown daughter of Wilhelm Dutcher and Elizabeth Brevoort? Siblings often intermarried. Is Nancy [D2] ever used as another name for Elizabeth? ( Just a wild thought on this issue)
Any comments or suggestions on the above or my theory on the wife of David Dutcher [D1] would be appreciated.
You straightened out the question of Sally Freer's parents. I had come to the same conclusion about Helena Freer's parents. I, too wonder if the Elizabeth Dutcher who married Abraham Freer was a sister of the David Dutcher who married Helena Freer. They had children baptized on the same day.
My next question is what happened to the family of David Dutcher and Helena Freer? I have no knowledge of them after 1791. I am interested in them because I am still trying to find my William Dutcher's parents. He was born about 1786 in NY. His second daughter was Helen and his first son was David. Is he the Helemus born in 1787 to David Dutcher and Helena Freer?
So far I can't find any of their children, but I'm still looking.